Spiritual Gifts

Each of us has been blessed in a variety of ways with God given talents. Before I die I hope I can say I have used up all the gifts God gave me and shared them with those I love.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

You Might Say I was a Little Sew and Sew

My first recollection about sewing was at around the age of five. I was visiting my grandmother, Geneva Rivera, at her home in the country in Reedley, California. I recall taking down a pair of dark pink curtains from an upstairs bedroom and proceeded to cut them up to make a dress for my doll. Needless to say when I was found out I received a spanking for taking something without asking!

Another experience I recall was from about age eight when my grandmother came to visit. I was watching her sew in an upstairs bedroom when she suddenly needed to use the restroom. As she left the room she turned to me and said, "now don't touch anything while I am gone". Of course I nodded in agreement that I wouldn't. I then observed the extension cord she had unplugged to her machine and wondered if I could feel the electricity in it if I touched my thumb to the end of the cord's outlet. I had no sooner pressed my thumb to the end it when it "bit" me, a feeling I can remember to this day. When grandma returned to the room she saw the look of pain on my face and I had to tell her what I had done. There was no need to reprimand me as the punishment had already been dealt!

No comments:

Post a Comment